The 42-hectare castle park is one of the most beautiful locations in the region. It is open to the public year-round – in fact, people have been using it as a shortcut through town since the times of Ferdinand Hildprandt. Franz (František) Hildprandt had the front part of the original game park transformed into an English-style park. The rear part was kept in its original form with the “sejpy” (remains of gold panning in times past) surrounded by large trees.
42 hectares of peace and serenity
The park is filled with streams, bridges, paths and beautiful alleyways. When a new road was built in 1810, Baron Franz also had a man-made hill built in the southwest corner of the park with rocks and caves connected by stone tunnels. During the Napoleonic Wars this project gave work and wages to the residents of Blatná. The park also once held an orangery, theater, Swiss house, lodge and shooting range, but these are no longer in existence.
Today the only building standing in the park is the Empire-style house where the Hildprandt family now lives.
Another popular attraction in the chateau park is the large herd of fallow deer, who graze freely and are very tame, as well as a muster of peacocks. Numerous ancient oak trees also grow on the grounds. Legend has it that Queen Johanna used to often sit and even met with her future husband, King Jiří of Poděbrady, under the park’s largest historical oak. This ancient tree, over 800 years old and 30 meters high, with a diameter of 180 centimeters, finally fell in the 1980s.